Superfoods for skin
Superfoods for healthy skin
During the holiday season, it's just about impossible not to indulge in some of the delicious food you only see at this time of year. However, it's very important to eat healthy, nutritious food as much as possible. Of course, we also need to maintain other healthy habits such as getting enough, good quality sleep, regular exercise, and minimizing stress levels. Our focus here is on eating foods that help promote healthy skin; this will have the additional benefit of helping you improve your overall health.
Nutrients that benefit your skin
Omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3 fatty acids help your cells stay hydrated. They can also help reduce inflammation in your body. They help preserve collagen in your skin and keep it firmer.
The top source of omega-3 is fatty fish including
- salmon (wild caught is best)
If you do not eat fish, there are several plant-based options:
- flaxseeds ( which should be ground so your body will be able to absorb the nutrients)
- chia seeds
- walnuts or almonds
Tomatoes and papaya contain lycopene, an antioxidant that can help keep your skin smoother.
Polyphenols are powerful antioxidants that can be found in tea and coffee. One study found that polyphenols in green tea and coffee helped to prevent photoaging and hyperpigmentation. Be careful not to consume too much caffeine; you can choose a decaf version.
- dark chocolate
- olive oil
Some fruits and vegetables not only contain antioxidants, but also healthy amounts of vitamin C which is very good for the skin. Some good choices include:
- citrus fruit - oranges, grapefruit, lemons and limes
- bell peppers - green, orange, red or yellow
Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps prevent cell damage. Some great foods that contain vitamin E are almonds and sunflower seeds.
Other great superfoods:
- Turmeric helps slow aging, and may reduce inflammation
- Blueberries contain anti-aging antioxidants
- Beets contain vitamin C plus fiber, antioxidants, and nitrates (which convert to nitric oxide that keeps blood vessels healthy and the brain functioning well).
- Broccoli contains vitamin C plus a compound that converts to sulforaphane which helps slow DNA damage and aging, and helps eliminate carcinogens (cancer-causing substances).
- 23 foods to eat for healthier skin. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/23-foods-good-skin/ March 24, 2022. Accessed October 6, 2022.
- 17 anti-aging superfoods for glowing skin, reduced inflammation, and overall health. https://www.theepochtimes.com/17-anti-aging-superfoods-for-glowing-skin-reduced-inflammation-and-overall-health-recipes-videos_4771078.html October 3, 2022. Accessed October 4, 2022.